Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll

Jen's Version
(Roswell, GA)

Fact: I only enjoy baking in the Fall and Winter. Fortunately, that's when all the best holidays are as well as 80% of our family birthday's and my anniversary. Did I say fortunately?

I attempted the Pumpkin Roll a few years back. Two things: what is a jelly roll? who owns a tea towel? This recipe must be speaking to my inner 75 year old. I did it though. I made a Pumpkin Roll and my husband was over the moon. So ever since, it's become a Fall tradition. I'll make it for Thanksgiving, for birthday's, for breakfast....it has become a Kenny staple. And fortunately, I make it so well, my Mom need not ever do it herself. Did I say fortunately again?


I cooked this at my mom and dad's so that I could share the fruits of my labor with the group, and look who had a jelly roll pan. I'm not calling my mom old or anything, but....


Hey readers! I got a new phone! Since I'm hip, I got the new iPhone 6. I must say, that is one clear picture of eggs. I feel like I could just reach down and grab em'. Oh and don't you just love the vibrant color pumpkin adds?!


Does everyone think of the Christmas Cookie song when baking? I can't remember it exactly, and might be the worst person at remembering lyrics, but I feel like it has something to do with putting them in the oven. Wait, maybe that's Patty Cake? What is a "patty cake"?


Beautiful, handmade cream cheese frosting. And worth noting, the only way my husband enjoys cream cheese.




This is the scary party, because you're dealing with this precious pastry that you don't want to crack. When done correctly, it is beautiful and delicious. When done incorrectly, it is still delicious.



Oh yeah, my mom did a shrimp boil that night and Steph and I were very excited!


Ideally, wait until it cools completely before adding the filling. In my life, I don't know what that means.


Um, yum!



Side note: Roswell, GA is my favorite place, especially in the Fall!

Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours and 25 Minutes (1 hour for cooling and 1 more hour for chilling)


(my adaption is just more butter!)


Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

Happy Fall Y'all!

That's right. Fall is officially here which means it's the happiest I'll be all year ;) 

pumpkin spice
brisk air
colorful crunchy leaves
football
pumpkin pancakes
ghosts and goblins
cinnamon
hunt for October
the color orange
pumpkin carving
my anniversary
pie
pumpkin pie with whipped cream
any kind of pie
boots, leggings, scarves, and cardigans
crisp apples
biggest feast of the year
farmers markets
pumpkin anything
dates by the fire
garnet and gold
fuzzy slipper socks
birthday celebrations for my dad, brother in-law, grandma, youngest daughter, both nieces, little brother, cousin and a handful of friends
(aka most expensive time of the year)

Seriously. Who doesn't love fall??? If it's you, stop following me. We can't be friends. 

Pumpkin. Mmmmmm, pumpkin. I just love that word. I love the color of it. The smell of it. The taste of it. The diversity of it. The use of it when talking to my babies. My little pumpkins. Speaking of, this devilish pumpkin just got caught stealing more pumpkin pancakes from a plate that I clearly should have moved further back. 


Pumpkin is good on so many different levels. If me telling you it is isn't enough reason for you to believe me, then believe this: pumpkins are an antioxidant, an anti inflammatory AND it is a high fiber food. It not only helps improve health and maintain great skin, but it can prevent poor brain function and fight against disease. Like, this is the mecca of all super foods. 

Sorry - may be a tad passionate about this fabulous ingredient. That being said, it's the backbone of this next recipe. Jen has made this one for a couple of years and this was my first attempt. I typically run the kitchen down with pumpkin breads, muffins, pancakes, candles and creamers. So, when this came up to bat, I was stoked (and nervous I'd crumble it to pieces) to give it a shot.


I may have gotten a little carried away when pulling the spices out. I only used cinnamon and and pumpkin spice.


The recipe calls for a jelly roll pan. I did it with a half cookie sheet. Spray it prior to adding a layer of wax paper, then spray again.


Once you've mixed your ooey gooey goddess, spread it out onto the baking sheet. I topped with a little bit of brown sugar to give it that extra umpf.



While it baked for a good 15 minutes, I mixed up the cream cheese filling and had some very eager taste testers nearby. Trusted seal of approval. 


Not certain why I'm even including this picture, but this is the roll. When you pull the bread of out the oven, it's gonna be hot. So, use your oven mitts and carefully flip it onto your CLEAN towel that you have generously covered in powder sugar. I left the wax paper on and rolled it fairly tightly. And honestly, this scared the dickens out of me. I was certain it would crumble to pieces and turn into pumpkin breadcrumbs. Jen assured me that it would not. I tend to doubt her. 


After cooling on the counter for about an hour, I unrolled the beast and was taken aback by its form. It rolled out. Like, legit rolled out. Didn't fall apart. Didn't crumble. Didn't even crack. So awesome. 


Slowly remove the wax paper. 
Don't be shy and spread the cream cheese filling to every end and beyond. Beyond being your fingers so you can lick them clean.


Then roll her back up by carefully pulling the bread away from the towel. Isn't she pretty? The powder sugar stuck like glue, so I didn't really add anymore. Jen probably did.


Sent her into the fridge to chill until Jen texted me to see how it turned out. My husband was anxiously awaiting his serving and was very impressed. Kinda sorta wanted to marry me all over again. 



And if you had leftover pumpkin (which you should have - even if using the smallest can), you can make gluten free pumpkin pancakes :)

Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours and 25 Minutes (1 hour for cooling and 1 more hour for chilling)

Ingredients:

Cake
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin spice
3 eggs
3/4 cup mashed pumpkin
1 T brown sugar

Filling
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 T butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powder sugar, divided

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15 X 10-inch jelly roll pan (or small cookie sheet). Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of the pan and leave an inch overhang on each of the short ends of the pan. Lightly grease the wax paper and sides of the jelly roll pan.

Mix the sugar, flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, eggs and pumpkin in a large bowl. Once mixed, pour mixture over the waxed paper. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the mixture. Bake for 14-15 minutes until edges pull away from the sides of the pan and center is done.
Lay a large dishtowel on the counter top (it is best to use a dishtowel without any texture – a tea towel or similar towel works best). Spread a thick dusting (about 1 cup) of powdered sugar all over the towel. When the cake comes out of the oven, turn the pan upside down on the powdered sugar-laden towel so the wax paper is on the top. Starting at one of the short ends, roll the pumpkin cake up with the towel to cool. While the roll is cooling, mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar together until it is light and creamy. Once the roll is cool, unroll. Gently peel off the wax paper, being careful not to tear the roll. With an offset spatula, carefully spread filling in an even layer over the cake. Roll it up without the towel and place in the refrigerator (covered with plastic wrap or wax paper) for about an hour before serving.

No comments: