Friday, September 19, 2014

Chicken Breast Stuffed with Pimento Cheese

Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

Here we go again … cheese, cheese and more cheese. For those of you who are Vegan or Paleo buffs, you should probably look elsewhere for recipe ideas. There are some vices worth having and cheese gluttony is one of them. 

I am forever in debt to Jen and Tina for introducing me to the Pimento Cheese Dip with Jalapenos. It has an assigned seat on the top shelf in my fridge and is so diverse in use. I pull it out to munch on when I'm cooking, add it to the hostess tray for game day, spread it on croissants for breakfast … It's my best friend. My right hand. My weakness. My love handles.


I found this recipe on the Eating Well website, believe it or not. A serving only has 200 calories, 1 gram of Carbs and 26 grams of protein. Legit health.


You'll notice I used sliced cheese instead of a block of Gouda. Three things: faster, cheaper and can be used on sandwiches.


Stuffed anything is incredible. 


Note to self: after frying the chicken stove top and then you've transferred the skillet into the oven; use an oven mitt when removing from oven. 


I added the remaining cheese mixture to the top of our chicken breasts because I didn't want to waste it. And I'm selfish and wanted more cheese.


This pairs with any type of vegetable or starchy side of your choosing. But, to stay "health conscious," we did a spinach salad (with more cheese) and sauteed squash with cherry burst tomatoes. 

Chicken Breast Stuffed with Pimento Cheese
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 35-40 Minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Gouda (we used sliced)
1T diced pimientos
1 tsp smoked paprika, divided
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp garlic powder
1T fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1T EVOO

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine Gouda, pimientos and 1/2 tsp paprika in small bowl. 

Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of each chicken breast, almost through to the other side. Open like a book. Sprinkle the breasts with 1/4 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper. Divide the cheese mixture amongst chicken. Close the chicken over the filling and seal the edges. Sprinkle breasts with remaining paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and cheese mixture.

Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-ugh heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip over and transfer skillet to preheated oven. Bake until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Jen's Version
(Acworth, GA)

True story: Bobby Flay's burger restaurant does not have Pimento Cheese. Not sure I can trust the guy anymore...

Much like Val, I'm cheese obsessed. Since Chris and I didn't complete a food questionnaire before we married, I learned after our legal binding that he is in fact NOT cheese obsessed. This is tough on the marriage, but we make it work. 

I'm done with my random blabbing. This recipe made me excited! I never stuff chicken, mostly out of fear of the unknown. The concept thrills me, the actual process, not so much. It all went well too, until I got to the "pan frying" part. Some of my stuffing fell out and I do not want ANY of my cheese filled stuffing to come out. This will take practice, I understand. 


Who else watches a lot of cooking shows and pretends to be on one when cooking dinner by putting their ingredients in pre-measured ramekins? Nobody?


Ahh Gouda Cheese, shredded fresh off the block. The only way to enjoy shredded cheese. Unless you're feeling lazy and don't want to shred of the block, which I usually am. But off the block is better. I promise. 


I know mayo wasn't on the original "healthy" recipe, but then we would be lying about calling this pimento cheese, so yes, I added some mayo. Sue me. 


I either need a new camera or need to see a doctor about my shaking. This is supposed to be my beautiful pimento cheese stuffing. It really was beautiful. 


I did it! I split a chicken breast. Not as hard as I thought. Sealing it up, that's a different story. 


At this point, it was still rocking and rolling. It was about 30 seconds after this I felt discouraged. 


Don't you even worry though, I put the cheese that fell out right on top. No cheese left behind! This was divine. Almost as fancy as the paper plate I ate it off of. 



Chicken Breast Stuffed with Pimento Cheese
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 35-40 Minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Gouda (we used sliced)
1T diced pimientos
1 tsp smoked paprika, divided
1 T Mayo
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp garlic powder
1T fresh parsley, chopped (I used dry seasoning)
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1T EVOO

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine Gouda, pimentos, mayo and 1/2 tsp paprika in small bowl. 

Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of each chicken breast, almost through to the other side. Open like a book. Sprinkle the breasts with 1/4 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper. Divide the cheese mixture amongst chicken. Close the chicken over the filling and seal the edges (as realistically as possible, because these guys don't close when you have heaping amounts of cheese inside). Sprinkle breasts with remaining paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and cheese mixture.

Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-ugh heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip over and transfer skillet to preheated oven. Bake until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: