Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Honey Baked Salmon

Val's Version 
(Denver, CO)

There are many days that I go without eating meat, so I am baffled by how hard it is to stick to the no meat on Fridays rule during Lent. I get completely anxious during every meal and am overly cautious on what I'm about to devour. I don't know if it's just me trying to impress God and show Him that I too can make sacrifices (clearly superficial) or if I just crave it more because I shouldn't have it …

Going back to the whole "our Dad introduced us to seafood so I indulge" statement, here we go again.

I. LOVE. SALMON.

It has more meaning too because my mothers side of the family are Sammons' and it goes hand-in-hand.   And it's not stinky. Some fish really stinks. Like tuna. I love tuna, but it stanks!

I usually prepare my salmon with just some S&P and lemon or honey with brown sugar. This recipe isn't too different. Very simple. Very satisfying. It pairs well with any veggie and/or grain. We are on a quinoa kick, so I found this amazing - and I mean amazing - side dish. It cooks in minutes. Literally.


This kinda has it all. It's good for you. Quick. Tasty.


Pull out your ingredients and substitute what you don't have because that's reality. Sometimes you don't have it all. Like, I had to use rice vinegar and white wine to make the rice wine vinegar.


Mix all the goodness in a bowl and let sit while you rinse your salmon and prepare your foil boat. 
Get it - boat for fish. Fishing. ;)


On a side note - beware for splashing. I have an apron. Do I wear it when I cook? No. Doesn't make sense. And I stain shirts with splashing because of it. 


Dry your salmon fillet and place into the foil boat. 


Delicately coat the salmon and seal shut with the foil. It's practical, not pretty.


While your fish is baking, prepare anything else you'd like on the side. I steamed some broccoli, slaved over my Minute grains medley and attempted to make Orange Glazed Scallops. I don't like scallops. Mike does. I do a lot for him because I like him. A lot. 


I was obviously blinded by the steam that seared out of the packaging when I checked to see it was done. Blurry as ever. Sorry about that.


Sprinkled some lemon and parm and was ready to dive in!

Honey Baked Salmon
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Inspired by Damn Delicious - Recipe here

Ingredients:

1 lb. Salmon
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 T. olive oil
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. rice vinegar
1 T. white wine
1 T. fresh Thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese
Lemon juice

Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix garlic salt, oil, vinegars, wine, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Create a foil boat (or pallet) for your fillet. Place your salmon, skin side down in foil and spoon sauce over. Seal foil tightly. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until fish is tinted white and flaky. Top with parmesan cheese and lemon juice, to taste.

Jen's Version
(Acworth, GA)

Spring has sprung! Down here in the south, we are seeing things in yellow. That is if you can actually see through watery and puffy eyes. Spring means Easter is coming and the season of Lent. Growing up Catholic, we practiced the rituals of Lent by giving something up and abstaining from meat on Friday's. This drives my husband crazy! I'm not even sure why, because he freely accepts seafood and would eat it on any other day. But for some reason, Friday's during Lent it drives him nuts I don't cook meat. He thinks it's silly and since I'm not the best Catholic, I can't explain why I do it, except just simply, that I do it. So some Friday's, I eat a salad and he eats a steak. But I won him over this past week by enticing him with a lovely evening on the patio, having drinks and enjoying fresh salmon. I mean, how can you resist! To make it better, Val picked a recipe that involved honey. My husband loves honey! He's my honey.

Inspired by a fancy dinner I had the previous Monday, I chose risotto as a side. For those reading this and for those who don't like to hover over a stove too long - risotto is high maintenance and maybe only slightly worth it. I will continue to enjoy it when made by others.


I started with my salmon and made the sauce. 


Honey bears make me smile.



This part was so easy! You literally dump on the sauce and top it however you like. I love capers! Most people don't, so lemon slices would be just fine. And I also added sesame seeds  because I saw them and thought - ooo! I like sesame seeds!


I waited until my salmon was baking until I started my risotto, because it was going to require all of my attention. Blah! I really just wanted to drink a beer and watch TV. Above you see my onions and garlic sautee'ing (is that a word). If only you could smell them.


Yay, stirring for 20 minutes, woo hoo!


Not complaining now though. The meal was delicious.


Friday friendly honey baked salmon.


Honey Baked Salmon
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Inspired by Damn Delicious - Recipe here

Ingredients:

1 lb. Salmon
3 cloves garlic
1 T. olive oil
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. rice wine vingar
1 T. fresh italian parsley
1 tsp. red chili flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon slices and capers for topping

Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix garlic, oil, vinegars, parsley, chili flakes, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place your salmon, skin side down in foil and spoon sauce over. Top with lemon slices and capers and seal foil tightly. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until fish is flakey.

Risotto
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Inspired by the Pioneer Woman - Recipe here

Ingredients:

1 cup grated parmigiana regiana
2 cloves garlic
1/2 whole large onion
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1/2 lb. Arborio rice
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: 

Grate your cheese and chop your onion and garlic. Heat a skillet over medium heat, and add butter and olive oil. Once hot, add your onions and garlic and cook until translucent. Add your rice and stir to coat completely. Add one cup of chicken broth and cook until rice absorbs the liquid. Continuing to stir, add your second cup and third cup, letting rice slowly absorb the liquid. This will take about 20 minutes. You want risotto to be tender with a soft bite. Once cooked, add your cream and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments: