Friday, April 4, 2014

Chicken Parmigiana

Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

When I met my husband, everyone raved about how great of a cook he was. I may have shared that already and will probably say it again. For our first "home date," he made me spaghetti and meatballs. From scratch. Even popped open a bottle of wine and enjoyed eachothers company while listening to Lady Luck. It was amazeballs! Come to think of it - I have my own live-in Emeril/Frank Sinatra. Oh, the good 'ol days.

Chicken Parm is another one of his staples.  He made it for my Dad once when we were in Atlanta and it's now on the Gale menu every time Mikey is in town :) I can't say that mine is as good as his, nor better, but I think it can stand the critics test. I do this one every couple of weeks. Or change it up with some eggplant. So, I'm kind of numb to the process. I just do it!


I cheat and use thin cut chicken breasts. 


Pound out the chicken till it's about 1/2" thick. One would think I like to use the pounding as a stress reliever. Truth is - there is nothing more repulsive than raw chicken flying all around the kitchen. 

After it's thinned out, it's ready to be dredged!


I couldn't take any pictures of the breading assembly because my fingers looked like this!


Once you've got the chicken coated and the oil is hot, get to browning the meat.


We only did 4 breasts, so they fit perfectly in a 9x13 baking dish without real overlapping. I put down a layer of sauce and then my breaded chicken with cheeses and more sauce. I don't like to do too much sauce because it makes it soggy. Plus, my husband likes to drowned his pasta in sauce. 

While that is baking, boil your water and cook your pasta. 


THIS ROCKS! I have always wanted to throw the noodles to see if they are done and have just never done it. But, when you blog, you stop at nothing.


25 minutes later ... there you have it. Deliciousness in a dish!!


And if you don't have garlic bread, toasted bagel thins work just the same. 

Chicken Parmigiana
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes to 1 hour

Ingredients:

Chicken Breasts (1 per person)
2 Eggs (to start with - may need more if you are serving more than 4 people)
Flour (qty depends on amount of chicken - start with a cup)
Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs (qty depends on amount of chicken - start with a cup)
2 T Olive Oil
8 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese (grated)
Sauce (jarred or homemade)
Seasonings to taste

Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts and pound them thin (about 1/4"-1/2" thick). Create dredging station with 3 bowls; flour, egg and breadcrumbs. You need to dredge the chicken in flour, then dip into the eggs, and finally cover in breadcrumbs. Make sure they are covered and flour mixture is adhered well. Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook the chicken on each side until golden brown (approximately 5-6 minutes per side). 

Spray a 9x13 baking sheet and layer the bottom with sauce. After the chicken is pan fried, layer the baking dish with chicken, coat with sauce and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Use as much as you desire. Feel free to season as well!

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Chicken is already cooked, so you just need the dish to heat and cheese to melt. While chicken is baking, prepare garlic bread or pasta/vegetables for a side dish. Let chicken settle and cool for 5 minutes before serving . Enjoy!

Jen's Version 
(Roswell, GA)

Oh boy, oh boy...it's chicken parmigiana night! It was Val's pick this week, and she chose a family favorite to share. I personally do not like chicken parmigiana. I'm not sure if there is a difference between chicken parmigiana or chicken parmesan, I just like using the word parmigiana. 1 - I like to say it and 2 - I know how to spell it, and I'm very proud of that. This would be Chris' (my husband's) most favorite meal. Unfortunately he was out of town though, so I chose to treat my mom and dad to a yummy Italian meal. I also chose to cook it at there house, because they have this awesome rule that if you cook you don't have to clean. At my house, there is no such rule. There is no such cleaner that shows up.

I mentioned this isn't my favorite meal, and I'm not sure I can pin point exactly why, but I can tell you that cooking it is a process. I don't like "processes". I like easy. peasy. cheasy. Now I'm just rambling...


I start off with my breading station. This includes a flour mixture with salt and pepper, lightly beaten eggs and Italian breadcrumbs.
                               


After you dredge in the flour, dip in the egg and toss in the breadcrumbs, you fry the chicken breasts in EVOO. Then if you're me you wash your hands incessantly and clean your bowls because lumpy, eggy flour is gross.


Get those puppies nice and brown. I learned from the Pioneer Woman that if you add a little butter to your EVOO it gives it that pretty brown color. I also learned from my tastes buds that if you add butter it will taste good. Butter is better.


So I mentioned this is my husbands favorite meal. The funniest part though is that my husband doesn't like parmesan cheese. Yes, you are reading this correctly. Chicken parmigiana is his favorite meal, but only if you take out the parmesan cheese. As for my normal family, we like parmesan cheese and added a heaping amount to the tops of our browned chicken breasts.


The one thing I love about this dish is the amount of cheese added. That my friends is fresh mozzarella and fresh shredded parmigiana regiana. I feel so Italian!


After about 25 minutes, in a 350 degree oven...this is what you get. Bubbly cheese atop chicken and marinara sauce. I personally like the bubbly cheese most.

Serve over pasta and sit back while others clean up for you. (thanks mom!)

Chicken Parmigiana
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes to 1 hour

Ingredients:

Chicken Breasts (1 per person)
2 Eggs (to start with - may need more if you are serving more than 4 people)
Flour (qty depends on amount of chicken - start with a cup)
Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs (qty depends on amount of chicken - start with a cup)
2 T Olive Oil
1 T Butter
8 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese (grated)
Sauce (jarred or homemade)
Seasonings to taste

Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts and pound them thin (about 1/4"-1/2" thick). Create dredging station with 3 bowls; flour, egg and breadcrumbs. You need to dredge the chicken in flour, then dip into the eggs, and finally cover in breadcrumbs. Make sure they are covered and flour mixture is adhered well. Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet and cook the chicken on each side until golden brown (approximately 3-4 minutes per side). 

Spray a 9x13 baking sheet and layer the bottom with sauce. After the chicken is pan fried, layer the baking dish with chicken, top with shredded parmesan, coat with sauce and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Use as much as you desire. Feel free to season as well!

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Chicken is already cooked, so you just need the dish to heat and cheese to melt. While chicken is baking, prepare garlic bread or pasta/vegetables for a side dish. Let chicken settle and cool for 5 minutes before serving . Enjoy!

No comments: