Friday, April 4, 2014

April Fools!

Jen's Version 
(Acworth, GA)

I don't normally participate in April Fools Day. I generally like to prank people on days where they least expect it, but this year Val sent me an idea to fool our kids. I can't pass up on a chance to fool children, nor can I pass up a way to make a meal fun. When you have young children, it's amazing how making a meal fun can alter everyone's mood from bored to super excited. When my kids are complaining and whining, I cut their sandwiches into a princess tiara and everyone is happy. I'm too fun. 

The Premise:
It's Spring Break in GA. While at the store on Tuesday, April 1st, I hinted at the idea of letting the girls eat cupcakes for dinner. I said something about it being Spring Break and I wanted to be a fun mom. They dismissed me, because this was crazy talk. As I was cooking dinner, I reminded them, "girls don't forget it's cupcake night!" I still kinda got an "okay mom" response. Then when I sat them down and presented them with two beautiful, candle lit cupcakes, they believed me. In fact, they. were. ecstatic. Just imagine. You're four or six and it's Spring Break and your mom is giving you cupcakes FOR DINNER. 


They blew them out and everything (in their bathing suits of course!)


They even got a glass of Kool Aid to add to the sugar fest. 

The Fool:
Would I really give my children cupcakes for dinner? Yeah, I probably would. But on April Fool's Day? Noooooo way. I only got away with this prank because my children are four and six. 

The "cupcakes" were actually meatloaf cakes and whipped potatoes. 




You prepare meatloaf as normal (recipe below) and bake in a cupcake pan for about 25 minutes. And you have to really whip your mashed potatoes (recipe below) to get the pretty, whipped texture in order to fool anyone. 

I also swapped Kool-aid out for Jello. And my plan worked perfectly. Cara was first to dive in to her "cupcake" realizing instantly that it wasn't frosting filling her mouth. Her face was priceless, and of course I have no picture or video because I couldn't stop laughing. She then grabbed for her drink and being that it was really Jello, well you know what happened. 

It was the perfect April Fool's trick. I firmly believe they will remember this forever!

Meatloaf Cupcakes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. of ground chuck
1 egg
1 cup of bread crumbs
2 T. of Worcestershire sauce
2 T. of milk
1 T. of mustard
2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
BBQ sauce/Ketchup for topping
Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix your first eight ingredients in a bowl, thoroughly. Spray a cupcake pan and fill each opening completely with meat. Top with Ketchup or BBQ sauce and bake for 25 minutes.

Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

3 lbs. of cooking potatoes
4 T. of butter
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/4 cup of half and half
1/2 cup of whipped cream cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions: 

Clean and quarter your potatoes, add them to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until tender. You can puncture with a fork to make sure they are soft. Once cooked, drain them well and add back to the pot with your butter, cream cheese, sour cream and half and half. Mash them until desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Spray a baking dish and add potatoes. Bake for 10-15 minutes to get a nice crust on top. You can also add cheese to the topping!

Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

I am still bummed that Jen didn't video Cara's reaction. I was laughing hysterically at the story and can only imagine what it was like in real life. And that's all I get to do - imagine it. 

My kiddos range from almost 6 months old to almost 12 years old. That being said, pranking is a tad more challenging. So … we focused on DAD!!!! Cali was is on Spring Break so we had all day to 
plan ;)
Since I had already decided to do the Meatloaf Cupcakes, I was hoping I'd get to pull that off on my oldest too. I sent her and the boy out back to play so I could get down to it. 


I highly recommend thawing the meat prior to cooking. I completely forgot and that added to the stresses of the already starving children. And Mom.


Mix all of your ingredients with the turkey and create balls. Turkey balls!


I'd be lying if I said I intentionally made only 11 so it would be easier to grab the pan out of the oven. Sure was convenient. 


While that goodness cooked, I made some sour cream whipped mashed potatoes. And added a little food coloring to give it the frosting effect.


Even went as far as making a piping bag.


And sprinkles ;) I actually only put those on Cali's since I was certain she wouldn't mind candy on her meatloaf and taters. Not nearly as pretty and convincing as Jens.


Presentation was appealing. Minus the random corn.


Cali was very skeptical and hesitant. She kept eyeing it up and waiting for me to explain. I just let her find out for herself. A sweet site with a savory bite!


When Dad finally got home, we also tricked him with a toothpaste frosted lemon cookie. Weird thing was, he didn't really question it. Apparently bubblegum flavored toothpaste isn't such an odd topping. April Fool's!

Turkey and Feta Cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes (as long as turkey is defrosted)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Modified from the Northern Ontario Parent

Ingredients:

1 pound of extra lean ground turkey
1 egg, beaten
½ cup of Italian bread crumbs
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
½ cup of crumbled feta cheese (we used sundried tomato)
1 T onion powder
½ tsp. of oregano
1 T garlic salt
2 tbsp. of milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin pan (or use liners for cupcakes).

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients well. Fill each muffin cup ¾ full with meat mixture.

Cook 30-35 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes.
Remove from pan and serve with your favorite sides.

Whipped Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

8 red potatoes
4 T. of butter
1 cup of sour cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 T garlic salt
Pepper to taste

Directions: 

Remove the skin and clean then quarter your potatoes. Add them to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until tender. You can puncture with a fork to make sure they are soft. Once cooked, drain them well and add back to the pot with your butter, sour cream, heavy whipping cream and seasoning. Mash them until desired consistency. Use a hand mixer if you like them rich and smooth. Add pepper to your liking. 

No comments: