Thursday, February 27, 2014

Valentines Special (2014)

Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

Love was definitely in the air at our house this year! So many people to share it with, it was hard not to. I had some small decorations around the house which works well for me since pink and purple are my favorite colors. Unless it has to do with my attire and that typically consists of black, browns and grey ;) Totally clashes with expressing adoration for the ones you love, right?

Started off the day with a lovely breakfast for my oldest before she went off to school.


Getting the eggs into the shape of a heart was harder than the actual recipes for the treats below.


Hey - how'd those get in there ;) Sweetest husband, EVER!!!

I put together some small little sweet treats while Dad conquered the grill. We call him "Marty Flay" when he actually takes the time to cook. He tends to tear it up just like the well known household name, Mr. Bobby Flay. So, while he was preparing steaks and lobster tail, I put on a show of Valentine Brownies and Cupid's Float! Nothing too fancy, but had great kid appeal!


Jen wasn't thrilled with how this recipe looked, but agreed to do it since it was "for the kids." I LOVE strawberry, so was all about at least trying it. I'm glad we did :)


As you can see, I added some white chocolate chips in case it wasn't quite 
strong enough to give us all cavities. 


Mixed it all up in one of my handy sidekick; my KitchenAid Mixer!


Baked at 350 for about 30 minutes (longer than recipe stated since I'm a mile above sea level).


Sprinkled some powdered sugar over the brownie squares and serve them warm!


Cupid's Float was very simple … Cherry 7UP, scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream and Whipped Cream!!! I completely forgot the "cherry on top," so feel free to add one … or two!

Valentine Brownies
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes 

Ingredients:

Strawberry Cake Mix
2 Eggs
1/3 C Oil
Powder Sugar
1 1/2 T Milk/Water

Directions:

Mix the cake mix, eggs and oil in the mixer. Pour into 9x13 greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes. For glaze, mix 1 c. Powdered sugar with 1 1/2 tablespoons milk or water. Pour over warm brownies.

Jen's Version
(Roswell, GA)

Meanwhile in Georgia...


So the week of Valentine's Day, Georgia had it's SECOND winter storm of the season. The girls and I did not get to prepare for any yummy treats due to the picture referenced above. Instead, we all huddled at home and enjoyed family time. Without steak. Because steaks were sold out. And no creme brulee. Because creme brulee was sold out...okay, because I didn't make it. 

We huddled at home with beautiful flowers and matching socks.




No comments: