Friday, August 29, 2014

Peach Cobbler Crisp

Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

My sweet tooth is barnone my biggest vice. It doesn't matter what time of day, month or year … I'm craving something sweet. And for a lady that really tries to keep a somewhat slim and healthy figure, that's not a good thing. So, maybe it just satisfies the voices in my head and not so much the jiggle around the middle, but when I pick something Gluten Free, I have less guilt. 

And don't even get me started on Peaches. Yuuuummmmmm!!!! We are some tender and juicy fruits here in Colorado (even though we're not the "Peach State"), so when our local grocery and Farmers Market have them out on display, I get all giddy inside. My husband takes one to work every day and I'm adding them to shakes and now DESSERTS!!!

You can totally alter this recipe with any fruit that's in season, but I highly recommend trying it with Peaches first. Fresh ones. And if you live in a higher altitude, add a little more cornstarch so it doesn't come out too runny. That was my only flaw. Didn't even think about that. Humpf. 


I ended up using a couple fresh peaches and a small bag of frozen. But, you could do just one or the other. I happen to prefer fresh, and so does my husband, so I couldn't use them all. 


Rinse em. Pit em. Slice em. Mix em with the other ingredients. 


Make your crumble with the peaches areabsorbing the suger and releasing their sweet juices.


You can go all in and just do a big crisp in a pie pan or be fancy and do individual ramikens. We did walnuts on half for the nutty peeps.


This was taken before I drizzled some caramel on my Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Cause caramel makes it that much better!! Sweet and salty and great satisfaction :)

Peach Cobbler Crisp (Gluten Free)
The Kitchn really nailed it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 40-45 minutes

Ingredients for the Filling:

6 cups peach slices (I used one bag of frozen and 2 fresh peaches)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch (add more for high elevation)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
(extra butter for greasing the ramekins/pie plate)

Ingredients for the Crusty Topping:

3/4 cup gluten–free oats
1/4 cup gluten free oat flour (you can put a rounded 1/4 cup of oats into a food processor and pulse until a flour is achieved)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup walnuts 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Grease pie plate or 6-8 ramikens. In a large bowl, toss the peach filling ingredients together until evenly combined.

For the crusty topping, place all ingredients, except the nuts, into a food processor (or a blender if you're lazy like me). Pulse 10-15 times, until a loose mixture created. Don't worry if it's not totally uniform, rustic is the look.

Evenly divide sugared peaches into greased ramekins. Sprinkle about two tablespoons of oat/butter mixture onto each of the crisps. Top with nuts. Place pie plate (or ramikins on baking sheet) into oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Jen's Version
(Acworth, GA)

You know what I love about doing this blog? Well there's a lot of stuff that I love, but today, I'm feeling nostalgic about one thing in particular. With this blog, I have discovered so many new recipes that my family loves. Recipes that I would never have thought to make. Recipes that have become a weeknight staple. This has become our little family "cookbook", and I'm so excited that we started it. Maybe one day people outside of our family will actually read it.

This week's recipe: Peach Cobbler Crisp

This was Val's pick, and I like that she's paying homage to her hometown. Peaches aren't for everyone. I love them, but even find their ripe smell to be a little, well, gross. But I'll tell you what wasn't gross. The smell of this puppy in the oven.

Go Braves!


I took the path of frozen peaches. I mean, why wouldn't you!?


Peaches are so beautiful. Their color is so vibrant. They look even better with sugar ;)


You know what you should go out and buy right now? The Ninja blender. This thing is the bomb.com. Also, when using butter in this capacity, make sure it's cold. I learned that from Ina Garden yesterday afternoon. 


Look at those beautiful oats mixed with butter and sugar covering those vibrant peaches. I've never really paid attention to color when I cooked, but I'm learning to appreciate it. 


And the final product. BIG MISTAKE by not picking up vanilla ice cream at the store that day. Huge. But I redeemed myself by getting it the next day. And I invited my neighbors over to share in this treat, because I knew we would never finish it alone. Not only are we sharing recipes, we are giving you reasons to socialize. We do it all!


FYI - you could always just make the oat mixture because that stuff was delicious. It would be a great ice cream topping!

Peach Cobbler Crisp (Gluten Filled)
The Kitchn really nailed it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 40-45 minutes

Ingredients for the Filling:

6 cups peach slices (I used one bag of frozen)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(extra butter for greasing the ramekins/pie plate)

Ingredients for the Crusty Topping:

3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup oats for oat flour (you can put a rounded 1/4 cup of oats into a food processor and pulse until a flour is achieved)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, cut into small pieces

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Grease pie plate or 6-8 ramikens. In a large bowl, toss the peach filling ingredients together until evenly combined.

For the crusty topping, place all ingredients into a food processor (or a NINJA). Pulse 10-15 times, until a loose mixture created. Don't worry if it's not totally uniform, rustic is the look.

Evenly divide sugared peaches into greased ramekins. Sprinkle about two tablespoons of oat/butter mixture onto each of the crisps. Place pie plate (or ramekins on baking sheet) into oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.

No comments: