Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Squash Casserole

Jen's Version
(Acworth, GA)

When it comes to squash, I admit there's a lot I do not know. For instance, I learned something new last year that when I ordered squash soup at Panera and it tasted like candy. Apparently there is squash that is popular in the fall and isn't yellow. I don't believe, from memory, that I was fed a lot of squash growing up. My memory is awful though - so I could be wrong. I do love a children's book titled "The Ugly Pumpkin" that is about a squash who thinks it's an ugly pumpkin. Great book! I mean it's a great book for the kids...

So my first memory of enjoying squash is when my MIL made a casserole for my husband's birthday, many moons ago. I wanna say he was turning 24? Wow, I'm really getting old. When it comes to food, I'm not the type to pick around and see what's inside a dish. I dig in. There aren't many foods that I don't eat. So I had this beautiful, cheesy, yellow dish in front of me and it was delicious. When I discovered there was a vegetable inside, I was delighted. Look, even if there is cheese and butter, if you have a vegetable, it's healthy! I don't care what anyone says! Just like Apple Pie is healthy :)

I picked this casserole because it's a great Summer side dish. It pairs perfectly with grilled meats or fish and serves a lot! Go ahead and make it already, you know you want too.

Get started with the slicing and dicing. Like my new knives??


This is beautiful, yellow, summer squash. Not to be confused with butternut squash. 


Now a picture with beautiful red pimentos and diced onions.


So I didn't realize how much this made. I halved the recipe and it still was overflowing my pan. 


I was also making grilled tilapia. I took a picture of the sauce because I wanted to remember how easy this sauce was. I combined Peach preserves and BBQ sauce, brought to a boil then simmered for 10 minutes. I chose Williamson Bros BBQ sauce. This sauce was amazeballs!


Back to the squash...


I added some pepper and salt, and finished sauteing. Once that was done, I added to a greased baking dish with the cheese and sour cream. You may do this in a bowl. I don't like to dirty extra dishes.


I topped with Ritz crackers and put her in the oven. Wanna see my tilapia all sauced up and ready to grill? Too bad...


Now for the Squash Casserole...


Divine. Even better with the grilled fish and cheese grits.


Summer Squash Casserole
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1/4 of a large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1 jar pimentos, drained
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoon butter (divided)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed medium to fine 

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash (in multiple batches) and then the garlic, onion, pimentos and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, Cheddar, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Drizzle melted butter over crackers to make them extra crispy and yummy. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.

Val's Version
(Parker, CO)

Summer and summer fruits and veggies are some of my favorites. I love peaches. I love watermelon. I love summer. I love swimming. And I love squash! I'm a big fan of grilled squash, so when Jen sent me this pin, I got excited to try it a new way. 

We made plans to go over to the Z's for a BBQ and that made me relax with a huge sigh of relief. Sometimes, after planning meals all week long, I struggle new ideas. Especially for blog night. I want to be creative and sometimes the challenge is more daunting than what it's worth. Fortunately, I was only responsible for a side dish and what do ya know … that's what Jen picked! 


Our cast of characters has turned this photo into a hidden picture with all the apps and face stuffing.


Seriously, you don't realize how much 6 squash can really produce when thinly sliced. 
This. Was. A. Lot.


It was so much, Steph had to help manhandle 2 batches worth. We seasoned and cooked until lightly brown and tender in some olive oil on the stove top. 


Like whoa!


While we were rotating sauteing the squash, I diced up the red pepper and turned 3 garlic cloves into wiggly worms. This little gadget of theirs really does the trick and doesn't make my hands smell like garlic for 3 days. It may find its way into my diaper bag and then into my cookware collection ;)


Speaking of hands smelling, I refuse to touch onion. I really don't even like eating it, so I had Sunshine aka Jeff aka Z dice up 1/4 of a Vadalia. He kinda has girly hands ...


Saute them suckers and then toss 'em in with the squash.


Apparently this is the face of someone who could careless about the kitchen convo when she's crushing crackers for the top of the casserole. How rude?


Photo Bombers!!!


Spray your casserole dish, dump in your veggies and then top with your crushed crackers. I melted some butter and drizzled on top for the extra umph.


Renfro manned the grill with some burgers and then we had a cucumber salad and Hoosier potatoes that Steph and Jeff whipped up. It was a great meal with some great friends!


Then, if you're as lucky as me, you'll be honored with the task of being a special little angels GodMommy!

Summer Squash Casserole (Gluten Free)
Prep Time:
Cook Time:
Total Time:
Serves: 6-8


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
6 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1/4 of a large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1 large red pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoon butter (divided)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 sleeve GF crackers, crushed medium to fine 

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash (in multiple batches) and then the garlic, onion, red peppers and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, Cheddar, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Drizzle melted butter over crackers to make them extra crispy and yummy. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.

No comments: