Friday, June 27, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Nachos…or Tacos…or Burritos

Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

This is by far the simplest, yet tastiest recipe ever created. So easy that I'm ticked I didn't come up with it. I've probably made this dish over a dozen times and don't really do much to switch it up. The chicken and seasoning alone is bursting with flavor, so all I really do is dump in whatever salsa I have. Sometimes I improvise and do diced tomatoes and add my own seasonings. But, that's the deluxe version. Seriously. It's so easy, my 2 year old son can do it. 


Like I said before, I use whatever salsa I have. This week I had a very tasty one ;) 

You'll notice in the background of this last picture that my counter is covered in goodness. We were packing for our 3 day journey to Atlanta and I was working on our snack tote for the car. Even in the midst of getting everything cleaned, packed, organized and loaded, I still had time to make a scrumptious meal for the fam!


You literally dump 3 things into the crockpot and set it on Low for 6-8 hours. If you're pressed for time, put it on High for 4-6 hours.


You'll know it's done when the meat is fork tender and just shreds at the touch. 


We changed it up a bit this time and made chicken nachos. Any topping will do. I happen to like it very simple and just sprinkled my mound with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and some additional flavor ... taco sauce! Leftover meat (if you're lucky enough to have any) can be used to make tacos, breakfast burritos, tortilla soup, rice bowls … the options are endless.

Jen's Version
(Acworth, GA)

Every month, my Mom organizes a group to prepare a hot meal for a local homeless shelter, MUST Ministries. It's either breakfast, lunch or dinner and we are always looking for new recipes. We like to prepare a hot meal, full of protein, that fills you up. This month, I recommended the chicken tacos. Like Val said, this recipe is so incredibly easy, I wish I had invented it. I feel like whoever did invent it, should get a million dollars. They have probably saved so many moms dreading meal time. I first made it last year, on a whim after seeing it on Pinterest, and totally fell in love. I probably told everyone I knew about it. Then I went on to make it for my girls' Fiesta birthday party, because I knew it would feed a lot. Not sure why I waited so long to recommend it for the MUST meal, but it turned out perfect. Everyone got seconds, even thirds, and raved about the flavor. And it makes so much to go around! 

I didn't take a lot of pictures, and by a lot, I mean I only took one. But really, this picture is worth a thousand words. 


That right there is a dinner that took little to no effort or time, tastes amazing and makes great leftovers. Honestly, aside from beer and chocolate, what else do you need?!


Crockpot Chicken Nachos
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 hours 
Total Time: 6-8 hours and 5 minutes

Ingredients:
1 envelope Taco Seasoning
4-6 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (if you have less time, go with tenderloins - they cook quicker)
1 16oz. jar Salsa

Preparation:
Dump everything into a crock pot and give it a little stir to blend the seasoning with the salsa. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. When done, the chicken should shred easily when stirred with a fork. Create with your favorite toppings!

Thank you, Tasty Kitchen for sharing your brilliance!

No comments: