Thursday, January 16, 2014

Easy Crockpot Pork Carnitas


Jen's Version
(Acworth, GA)

The Cast of Characters


I have a hard time saying no to any recipe that includes "a bottle of beer". I also have a hard time saying no to a dinner cooked in a crock pot. I also have a hard time saying no to food...


So I took this beautiful hunk of pork butt and threw it in a crock pot. Then I topped it with salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, oregano, cumin and chili powder. I am never comfortable with touching raw meat. I totally get why you do it, but I just don't like it. I did it though. I manned up and rubbed the seasoning into the meat. Then I poured beer and orange juice on it like a moron, and all the seasonings dripped down the side. So lucky me got to handle the raw pork twice.


I entrusted my sous chef (appropriately dressed in Belle princess gear) to squeeze the limes into the mix. I learned something too - not all limes are created equal. There are limes that don't have lime juice inside of them. 


Lastly, I topped it with the salsa. I would have never thought putting salsa in a crock pot dish would turn out good. I admire those who take a chance on meals so that I can enjoy the goodness! So now we're at my most favorite part of the meal. You enjoy your life for 8 hours while soaking in the growing aroma of pork carnitas. You don't have to chop or sautee. You just wait. And 8 hours later, tender, flavorful pork awaits you.



I paired this with a tamale pie for my husband, but I also threw it in a soft taco shell for the girls and topped with cheese and they were happy campers. I love meal versatility. I also love a happy, fed family.

Val's Version
(Denver, CO)

I'm always a little gun-shy when cooking with pork. It's a very temperamental meat and I like it cooked just right! Crockpot recipes seem to always have a way with making meats extra juicy and tender, so I wasn't as skeptical with taking on this recipe challenge. 


This particular recipe had so much flavor built into it from all the spices that I didn't alter it much. Instead of cayenne pepper I used red pepper flakes. I also added some onion and garlic powder that I rubbed into the pork shoulder. 



Being that I started later in the day, I adjusted the time and did 2 hours on high and 4 hours on low. There was also no need for me to cook in the broiler after the 6 hours in the crockpot. It came out fork tender, juicy and finger lickin' good!



We paired our Pork Carnitas with some Fried Egg and Zucchini Quinoa! A healthier version of Fried Rice and a little more flavorful. 


While the quinoa was simmering, I fried up the zucchini and eggs. 




Tossed it all together and it made a very light and nutritious side dish.



With a family of 5, 4 of which are culinary connoisseurs, you have all types of pallets and preferences. That being said, I was able to use the pork in a few different ways; lettuce wraps for Momma bear, burritos for Dad and Bug and pork al a mode for the little man!



When asked if there was anything I could do different or any suggestions, Mike responded with "Don't put it away yet!" The next night, we changed it up a bit and used the leftovers in a 
Broccoli and Cheese Orzo bowl :)


We found this recipe through Pinterest (where we find most of our inspiration) by Pinch of Yum

Easy Crockpot Pork Carnitas
Prep Time: 10 minutes  
Cook Time: 8 hours  
Total Time: 8 hours and 10 minutes

INGREDIENTS
  • 4-5 lbs. pork shoulder
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce (optional)
  • juice of 2 limes
  • ½ cup orange juice
  • 12 ounces beer
  • ½ cup salsa (I like to use a less chunky one)

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Roughly chop the garlic and place in the slow cooker (I actually kind of rubbed it onto the meat to get as much garlic flavor as possible, but you could just toss it in, too).
  2. Sprinkle the meat with salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne. Rub seasonings onto the pork.
  3. Add lime juice, orange juice, beer, and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
  4. Shred meat with two forks directly in the slow cooker (or take out, shred, and replace in sauce). It should fall apart easily.
  5. Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the shredded meat on the cooking sheet and pour a few spoonfuls of sauce over the top. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until you get browned edges on the pork.
  6. Serve on tortillas with fresh cilantro, avocado, and lime juice.

1 comment:

the be4good project said...

Love the new blog - can't wait to see what comes next!