Saturday, May 17, 2014

Breakfast Casserole and Crockpot Hashbrown Casserole

*** SPECIAL GUEST CHEF: JENNIFER KENNY :) ***

Val AND Jen's Version
(Denver, CO)

Boom!!!! That's right - we were finally able to cook a meal together. Like, same house, ingredients, pots and pans together. Jen came out (with my other 2 siblings) to celebrate my sons 2nd birthday and youngest daughter's Dedication, so we thought we'd spice it up a bit and do a meal together. Cute, huh? I (Val) will do most of the blogging. Since it was my house. And my kids celebration weekend. Jen can comment when needed. I mean, when she wants!


Being that we had an early morning on Sunday, we had to come up with something quick and practical. And obviously, ah-maz-ing! So, why not throw together a breakfast egg and sausage casserole with yummy hashbrowns (crockin' style)?


Preparing the hashbrowns took all of 5 minutes (possibly less if you're not trying to dance around the kitchen with someone else). I also forgot to mention that we needed to get 5 adults and 3 kids showered, dressed to impress and out of the house in record time. Fast prep was a necessity. 

You literally mix all of the ingredients and dump them into the crockpot. Supes ease. So - that's what we did. Mixed. Dumped. And got the troops out of the house. On time. 

Jen: I literally just went through 20 colors to keep my comments separate. Purple it is. So I just wanted to add here that I didn't know you could do a hashbrown casserole in a crock pot. I mean, it's not rocket science, but it has changed my life. 


This is us after the ceremony. Cute huh? I love this girl. She's in my Top 5, for sure. 

Top 5, I hope so. This is gonna be my new FB profile picture. I'm gonna reach out to Pillsbury for the royalty checks. 


And this was taken after she told me she was having another baby!!!!!

Kidding. I wish. We took a couple to make sure we looked okay and noticed that the way Jen is holding the Crescent can, makes it look like her finger is the buttery biscuit. LOOK - totally does. 

Val, we don't joke about pregnancy announcements! Ever!

The shredded taters were cooking it by our fabulous sous chef (aka crockpot)(note: Jen stirred the dish because it seemed too easy, and was yelled at by Val), so we had time to prep and bake the maple sausage - let me say that again - maple sausage and egg casserole. The smell and not to mention, taste, of maple sausage in bar none that second best ingredient to bacon (and cinnamon rolls). The luscious scent permeates the entire house when it's being browned and tends to make the hungry a bit cranky when there's still time on the clock till they can sit down and eat. Not pointing any fingers or admitting that I was one of them. 




Little did I know that Jen feared flaky fun. Weird. I know. But, she doesn't like popping the can open or touching or something really strange in a very normal process to baking pre-made biscuits. 

I, like many, do not like the surprise pop of the crescent rolls. 




Jen told me (a little too late) that they have seamless rolls for such a thing. Who knew? 

I did!


Mix up the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Tony's if your edgy.    


Carefully line the pastry with your delicious pound of maple sausage. 


Pour the beaten eggs over the sausage and top with shredded cheeeeeeese. Then throw in another pinch, or two, of cheese. 


Once you've put the casserole into the preheated oven, you can enjoy a long overdue mimosa and fresh berries with your rock star of a sister!

Love this picture too. We are so fun.


So, I'm gonna throw myself under the bus and admit to a mistake. When you prepare the egg portion of the dish, do not add milk. You add milk for scrambled eggs. Clearly it fluffs the egg but also tends to prolong the "baking" of the casserole and may add an additional 20 minutes to your cook time. Again, not something you want to do when people are starving and have been swimming in the aroma of maple sausage. ;)

It was delicious! I expect Val to cook this every time I see her now :)

Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 25-30 minutes 

Ingredients:

1 lb of Maple Sausage
Crescent Roll
5 Eggs
Salt and Pepper
Tonys
8 oz Shredded Cheese (we used a blend)

Directions: 

Press croissant dough in the bottom and sides of a greased 8x8 pan. Brown 1 lb. of breakfast sausage and layer on top of crescent dough. Whip 5 eggs together and season with salt and pepper. Add Tony's for additional kick. Pour egg mixture over sausage. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake until the eggs are done at 350 degrees (about 15-20 minutes). Cut and enjoy!


Crockpot Hashbrowns
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours

Total Time: 4 hours and 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1 26-32 ounce bag frozen hash browns
1 8 oz container sour cream
1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
¼ cup onion, chopped fine
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup butter, melted
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions: 

In a large bowl add the hash browns thawed or frozen, sour cream, soup, onion, shredded cheese and melted butter. Mix to combine. Spoon hash brown mixture in a 4 quart slow cooker that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top cover, and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until done. The casserole should be crispy on the sides and bubbly throughout. Serve and enjoy!

Thanks Stockpiling Moms!!!

No comments: